Monday, March 10, 2014

ARC Mini-Reviews: Sunrise by Mike Mullin & Waiting on You by Kristan Higgins


Title: Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)

Author: Mike Mullin

Rating: 3 Stars

Release Date: April 15th, 2014

Unfortunately, these 3 Stars feel generous. I thoroughly enjoyed the previous two installments in this trilogy, but this conclusion seemed to lack...direction. Sunrise begins with a series of intriguing plot points emerging, from Alex's assumption of power to his increasingly volatile relationship with his mother. Yet, these issues are only briefly touched upon, never explored to a deeper potential, rendering the first-half of this novel quite dull. A snooze fest, really, as Sunrise focuses on a community gradually being built in this post-apocalyptic world. Mullin's latest also fails to shine in the secondary character department. While these individuals played important roles in the past novel, their personalities are overshadowed by Darla's presence. It seems this is a recurring theme in most finales, lately, that important characters from Book 1 and Book 2 finally meet and their arcs converge in Book 3, only to have one group or the other eventually overtake the other, sadly.

Sunrise does, thankfully, pick up its pace and gain well-needed focus during its second-half, but not quite enough to make up for its slow start. Where this series continues to shine is in Darla and Alex's romance. It is a subtle, minor aspect to the trilogy but remains a driving force of equality and true love. Sunrise is certainly a satisfactory ending, but I wonder if this novel couldn't be condensed into a novella or, better yet, edited to gain more perspective. Both Ashfall and Ashen Winter made bold, provocative statements about humanity while Sunrise seemed to merely wrap up the loose threads regarding these beloved characters. If you haven't picked up this series yet, I'd suggest reading Ashfall and ending there too. It works brilliantly as a stand-alone (for the most part) and, frankly speaking, Mullin hasn't been able to compare since.

Title: Waiting on You (Blue Heron, #3)

Author: Kristan Higgins

Rating: 3 Stars

Release Date: March 25th, 2014

By now, it's no secret that I adore Kristan Higgins. While her covers scream "chick lit" and her writing is humorously effortless, the depth found within her love stories forced her books to transcend the stigma of mindless, cheesy "chick lit." While her latest, Waiting on You, is nowhere near as amusing, romantic, or steamy as the previous two installments in her Blue Heron Series, it is still perfectly satisfactory for a gloomy day and, as always, is guaranteed to put a smile on even the sternest of faces.

Waiting on You follows Colleen, the bright and sexy bartender we've come to love. You know, the one whose matchmaking skills are legendary, advice is freely given, and friendship is the stuff of legends. While confident, sassy Colleen seems as if she can take on the world, in reality, her heart is a mess. Lucas, her first - and only - true love, left her broken-hearted just years after high school and, somehow, Colleen still hasn't moved on. When Lucas breezes back into town, looking after his uncle, more like an adopted father, whose days are numbered, Colleen is surprised and, most importantly, already falling back in love. But, this time, she is determined that Lucas will not be the one to break her heart, even when that same heart is so traitorously beating just for him...

Higgins impeccably paces a timely reveal of the situation which tore Lucas and Colleen apart so many years ago. It is heartbreaking, naturally, but the sparks between these two have our hearts rooting for them, despite the myriad of obstacles in their way. Yet, while Higgins develops Lucas and Colleen's original relationship, relaying the sense of serenity they feel together, their current emotional compatibility falls slightly flat. I wish Lucas and Colleen had worked through their past issues a little more in depth. While I completely understand the fact that they feel right together, that their bodies demand that they be with one another in order to feel at home, I still yearned for a few more insightful conversations between the two. Nevertheless, this a sweet and swoony romance sure to delight fans of the Blue Heron Series. If you haven't already picked these books up, find yourself a copy of The Best Man at once - Chief Levi Cooper is not a man you want to miss! ;)

14 comments:

  1. I rarely read Dystopian books by male authors, so the Ashfall series really intrigued me! It's too bad that the conclusion seems to lack direction though. Waiting On You sound so cute! It's great to hear that it's not a cheesy chick-lit we dread. Sounds perfect to read when I'm too tired to pick up 'serious' books! ;)

    Lovely mini-reviews, Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man--I know 3 stars means you liked it overall, but it's still disappointing to see that SUNRISE wasn't quite what you'd hoped it would be. I only got around to reading ASHFALL last month, and I was absolutely riveted by the apocalyptic world the author had realized--but I actually don't think characterization was a hugely strong suit in that book either, so to hear your criticism of it in this one worries me a bit. I'll go into the next couple of books with tempered expectations.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this third book but I did enjoy the first two. Sad that it lacked direction but at least it earned a solid three-stars from you and not anything less. It seems there have been a lot of rather disappointing trilogy endings in the YA world lately. I hope this trend stops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Ashfall and really enjoyed it despite finding it a touch on the slow side, but I have a feeling the slowness of this third one will be a little bit less tolerable than it was on the first book for me. I'm glad it picks up toward the end though and that Alex and Darla's romance is still a highlight.

    I need to read Kistan Higgins. That's all there is to say really. I love that even her middle of the road stories are still hugely enjoyable:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad about Sunrise. I have that one for review. I read the first two in succession and I had to break for something light. Both were SO dark. At least this one has a bit of light and I do like their romance in the previous books.

    Okay, and even though the Higgins book didn't wow you, I must read it and meet Levi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these I'm familiar with but sadly I don't think I'll be reading either these series soon. It's simply that Kristan Higgins' books aren't working for me. I know it's more then chick-lit, but still somehow I always need more. For the Ashfall series, I'm not so sure. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the beginning of the series, but this one doesn't sound too enjoyable. Maybe someday. Great reviews, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear that both were just okay

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not familiar with either of these series but it's always disappointing when the final book in a series is a let down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristan Higgans has been mostly a "miss" with me, out of four books I attempted by her, only Just One of the Guys worked for me. I really loved that one because the protagonist seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, and the obstacles in the way of her and her love interest seemed, if not entirely realistic, plausible enough. But I haven't tried any books in the Blue Heron series, so maybe I should continue to try to give her a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 more books that didn't wow you! Sorry friend. I'm especially sad about the disappointing series ending. I haven't read the Ashfall books - that concept freaks me out because it could happen! But I've gotten so tired of series ends that don't blow me away. Thankfully HIggans is such a prolific author that you will surely find another of her books to bring you back up. Though it doesn't sound like the swoon was too difficult to take :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2 more books that didn't wow you! Sorry friend. I'm especially sad about the disappointing series ending. I haven't read the Ashfall books - that concept freaks me out because it could happen! But I've gotten so tired of series ends that don't blow me away. Thankfully HIggans is such a prolific author that you will surely find another of her books to bring you back up. Though it doesn't sound like the swoon was too difficult to take :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a gripping ending to the Ashfall Trilogy. At the end of the book, I was dismayed that the trilogy was over. "No!" I thought, "I don't want it to end!" I do hope Mullin will write more books featuring these characters. I'm sure I'm not the only reader that wants to know what happens to them next. Although these books are each 500 plus pages long, they read quickly because they are so compelling.
    Property Management Phoenix service

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.